Mass Deployment (MSI and EXE for silent installation)
Mass deployment allows you to install the unattended access application on multiple machines and add the respective remote machines to your DeskRoll account for 24/7 access. The installation can be performed in silent mode. Mass deployment applications are available with all Pro licenses.
Preparing the installation package
If you need mass deployment package, please request branded applications here: https://deskroll.com/my/branding
IMPORANT! Regular packages on the Downloads page cannot be mass deployed. For mass deployment to work, a special application must be built specifically for your DeskRoll account.
The request will be processed shortly and the download links will appear at https://deskroll.com/my/branding. The installation package is offered in two versions: MSI and EXE:
- MSI – allows you to silently deploy DeskRoll Unattended Access to remote machines via Active Directory or other deployment tool. The package contains a unique token built into the MSI.
- EXE – allows manual installation of DeskRoll Unattended Access by passing the unique token via the command line argument.
Additionally, you will see a unique token which can be used with the EXE. The following parameters can be used with the EXE:
- --link_token=<unique_token> – pass the token to automatically link the remote machine to your account,
- /S – perform silent installation.
Sharing the installation package
MSI must be placed into a network share that must be accessible from all the machines where DeskRoll UA will be installed.
Automatic and silent deployment of DeskRoll Unattended Access
- Navigate to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Group Policy Management.
- Create a group policy object:
- right-click on your domain or organizational unit in the console tree and select Create a GPO in this domain, and link it here,
- type the name of your GPO (e.g. DeskRoll UA MSI) and press Enter.
- Create the installation package:
- right-click on the GPO and click Edit,
- open Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Software Settings, right click on Software Installation -> New -> Package,
- in the dialog, type the full path to the installation package, e.g. //storage/DeskRoll.msi, click Open, then click Assigned, then click OK.
Upon next user login, DeskRoll Unattended Access will be deployed for the selected machines.
Recommended group policy settings
We recommend the following GPO (Group Policy) settings to ensure that the MSI distribution process is smooth and seamless:
- Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components> Window Installer > Always install with elevated privileges
- Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon
- Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Group Policy > Software Installation policy processing (check "Allow processing across a slow network connection")